The seven spikes on Lady Liberty’s crown represent the seven seas and continents of the world.
The metal framework within Lady Liberty was designed by Gustave Eiffel who used the same basic design for the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Lady Liberty arrived from France aboard an ocean liner. She was in over 300 pieces and packed in over 200 crates.
Lady Liberty is the official property of New York, although she is actually positioned closer to New Jersey.
Suffragettes (women’s rights group of the time) protested during Lady Liberty’s unveiling, because women did not yet have the right to vote in the country being celebrated for its “liberty.” The group chartered a boat and circled the island during the event. Only two invited female guests watched the festivities on the island itself. Most female attendees had to watch the proceedings from a naval ship or other vessels.
The statue of Liberty is one of the world’s most famous and recognizable landmarks. For many people in the United States and beyond, she serves as an unwavering symbol of freedom and democracy. You may be well acquainted with Lady Liberty, but here are a few things you may not know about her.
The dedication of the Statue of Liberty was originally scheduled to take place during the United States’ centennial celebrations in 1876 to commemorate the signing of the Declaration of Independence, but the unveiling was delayed due to lack of funds. The event took place in 1886 instead.
French sculptor Auguste Barholdi designed Lady Liberty using his mother as a model for the statue’s face.
In heavy winds, Lady Liberty can sway up to 3 inches while her torch can sway about 5 inches.
Green is an acquired color for Lady Liberty. Her exterior is copper, which develops a patina (a green coating) as it oxidizes over time. Lady Liberty acquired her full head-to-toe green hue by the early 1900s.
Lady Liberty’s head was displayed at the 1878 World's Fair held in Paris.
The island where Lady Liberty stands was originally called Bedloe’s Island, but was renamed Liberty Island by an act of Congress in 1956.